Another one from the comfort food series - a Braised Oxtail recipe by Chef Benny Se Teo.
- 1 oxtail (about 750g), cut into 5 pieces
- sea salt, as needed
- ground black pepper, as needed
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium swede (Swedish turnip), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 400ml dry red wine
- 300ml beef stock
- 100g streaky bacon, cut into small pieces
- 5 button mushrooms, halved
- 6 heirloom carrots
- 1 sprig coriander leaves (cilantro), chopped
Preheat oven to 200C.
Rub oxtail with a little salt and black pepper. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add oxtail. Sear until oxtail is browned.
Remove oxtail from pan and place in an ovenproof casserole. Add 2 cloves garlic, celery, onion, swede, rosemary, thyme, red wine and beef stock. Season with salt and black pepper. Cover casserole and place in oven. Lower oven temperature to 175C and braise for about 1 hr.
After casserole has been in the oven for about an hour, heat 1 tbsp oil in a clean pan over medium heat. Add bacon, remaining 2 cloves garlic and button mushrooms and sauté until golden brown. Add to casserole together with carrots and continue to braise for another 2 hrs until oxtail is fork-tender.
Garnish with coriander and serve.
Recipe by Benny Se Teo
Share this article: